Breaking or fracturing a bone is a common ailment that requires many Americans to head to urgent care clinics every single day. Whether it is from a slip and fall accident, an athletic injury, or a car accident, having a fractured bone is not fun. But while you heal, it is important that you take the proper fracture care precautions in order for the bone to heal and not cause you any more significant damage.
So if you have a fracture, here are some simple care tips and tricks to follow that will have you feeling better in no time at all.
- Use ice instead of heat. A cool compress or ice will help to reduce swelling and boost mobility. When you fracture a bone, chances are the swelling you are experiencing is the common cause of your pain and discomfort, so put ice on it every hour or so to bring the swelling down.
- Elevate the injured body part. On top of using ice and cool compresses, it is important you elevate your fractured bone. This way the swelling will come down and the blood flow will not be restricted to the area.
- Don’t keep it wrapped all day. Even though it is important to immobilize the entire area to help with healing, your skin will need to breathe once in a while. Try to keep your wrapping off for a few hours a day and you will feel much more comfortable. But, make sure to keep it on when sleeping, as you’re not always sure of how much you’ll move around.
- Stay hydrated. Some pain medication can cause you to feel dehydrated, so if you are taking medications make sure to keep drinking water as regularly as you can. You’ll feel much better if you stay hydrated with water and juice.
- Do not hesitate to visit an urgent care clinic as soon as the fracture happens. They will make sure the bone is set properly, wrapped, and give you medication and instructions on the best fracture care methods. Also, don’t be afraid to go back if you have any additional questions during the healing process.
Follow these steps and you will heal your injured extremity in no time at all!