Hair loss is a problem for men (and women) across the United States. Nearly two-thirds of men aged 35 have some degree of appreciable hair loss in the country. By they reach 50, nearly 85% of men have experienced some significant hair loss. that is nearly 35 million men. Almost half of a man’s hair will be gone before it can be noticed. FUE hair transplants may be one option for men thinning hair. One positive benefit of this procedure is that it is less likely to produce scars.
Tips for Recovery from FUE Transplant surgery:
- Leave your hair alone when you first get home. You may want to take a shower and shampoo your hair immediately when you get home but wait. You will go back in to see your doctor for your post-operative appointment so they can check on your scalp and progress. Your scalp is very fragile after hair transplant surgery. They will wash your hair at this appointment. You will be given after care instructions at this time. For the first four to six days, you are asked to not wash your hair. After about a week, you can shampoo your hair normally.
- Do not dye, perm or chemically treat your hair right away. You will need to wait at least a month to do any chemical treatments on your hair. If you really want to have it done, do it about a week before the procedure. Your scalp cannot handle the chemicals in these treatments right away. This is one sure fire way to make the small incisions turn into scars. Plus it would hurt a lot to put harsh chemicals on your scalp right after your procedure.
- Take it easy for a few days. You will not have a long recovery time after a hair transplant. You will be healing from surgery, however, and should take it easy to give your body a chance to heal from it. Really take some time for yourself after your procedure. This may be a minor procedure but it is an operation and your body will thank you for taking it easy for at least a few days following the hair transplant surgery.
- Follow all of your post-operative instructions. Your physician will give you a detailed list of post-operative in instructions that have been prepared for you. You need to follow these instructions to the letter. They will also go over these instructions with your designated driver who you need to bring with you to your operative appointment. This is a long procedure, it takes at least eight hours to complete so keep that in mind when you make your arrangements. Your scalp will have small scabs. These will not turn into scars so do not worry about that. Within five to seven days following your surgery, you should be comfortable going out within five to seven days following your procedure.
- Be patient with the process. You will not immediately have a head of hair when you walk out of the office on the day of your procedure. That is totally normal. Do not worry about it. Hair growth happens in stages so it will not all grow out immediately. It will take eight months for your hair to grow in. By that time about 90% of the new hair should be growing in. The scars will fade very soon after your surgery so you do not have to worry about that. Just make sure you ask all your questions to to your doctor.
Not having hair hurts many people’s self esteem. In a culture that is so focused on appearances and how we all look that it can be hard to look in the mirror and not like what you see. This is one reason so many people go to a hair clinic to receive treatment for their hair problems. People think having an appearance they do not like is actively detrimental to someone’s career. The good news is that there are more and more treatments for hair loss than ever before.