Staying Ahead Of Urinary Tract Infections 5 Tips To Help Prevent UTIs
Urinary tract infections (UTIs) are exceptionally common among women; in fact, they account for 25% of all infections in women. Because the pain and discomfort associated with UTIs can be exceptionally agonizing (and dangerous if they go ignored), prevention is the best way to protect yourself. Let’s take a look at five tips that can reduce your odds of developing a UTI.
- Drink more water: UTIs occur when bacteria is able to build up in the urethra. By drinking plenty of water (and, as a result, urinating more), you’ll be able to flush bacteria out of the bladder and urinary tract before it can set it.
- Wipe from front to back: Unsurprisingly, bacteria tend to live around the anus. When you wipe from back to front, you’re actually pulling that nasty bacteria toward and potentially into your urethra, which gives it the opportunity to grow. Wiping from front to back, especially after a bowel movement, reduces the chance that bacteria can make it to your urethra.
- Urinate after sex: Sex is inherently quite messy, and can push bacteria into the urethra. By urinating after the fact, you can flush out your system and prevent any bacteria from building up.
- Stay away from irritating feminine products: Many products designed for women often end up doing more harm than good. Douches, deodorant sprays, scented powders, and other potentially irritating feminine products should be avoided as they may cause problems in your urethra.
- Rethink your birth control: Certain birth control options (such as diaphragms, spermicides, and spermicide-lubricated condoms) contribute to bacterial growth. If you’re experiencing recurrent UTIs, you may need to change birth control methods.
Although men can certainly experience UTIs, they’re much more likely to occur as a result of intermittent catheter and free catheter use. For women, the easiest and most cost-effective way to deal with the infections is to focus on preventing UTIs; by committing to the above tips, you’ll be able to save yourself countless doctor’s visits and expensive antibiotic treatments.
When it comes to preventing UTIs, Get Complete Care is proud to offer a number of urological supplies. Visit us online at https://getcompletecare.com/ to check out our collection of products today.
You must be logged in to post a comment.